Friday, January 4, 2013

Jellicoe Road


I find it very difficult to well, judge a book by its cover.  However, one bit of synchronicity I find fairly often in my life is at the times when I go to pick up a new book. Not knowing what the inside pages will hold, I usually am fairly lucky at picking out a book that I end up liking quite well.

This very thing happened last time I was at the library.  I randomly pulled off the shelf an orange-covered book called Jellicoe Road, by Melina Marchetta.  The brief description read well enough, but I had little time to make my choice, so home this book came. 

It turns out to be an Australian novel.  Being that I have spent a bit of time in Oz, I was pleasantly surprised by this. As I began to read, I became quite taken with the storytelling style, as well as with the main character, Taylor Markham.

Essentially, the story is about a teenage girl who is struggling to put together the pieces of her disjointed life.  She lives at a boarding school, is the secret leader of the student body, and is trying to figure out the truth of her childhood, her family, and her place in it all. It seems a fairly straightforward storyline, one that's been done before.  But Marchetta tells Taylor's story in superbly crafted pieces, so that we, and Taylor, get just enough info on each page to keep us wanting to turn to the next.

I thoroughly enjoyed Jellicoe Road, and long for more well-written and compelling, heart wrenching and honest, good reads such as this.  Definitely don't judge a book by it's cover, but rather, step inside and let a good story fill you up.

No comments: